Student Alcohol Policy & Procedures

1.0 Background and Purpose

The Colorado School of Mines (“Mines” or “the school”) is committed to maintaining an environment that supports and promotes healthy lifestyles including the academic and personal development of all members of the university community. The unlawful presence and irresponsible use of alcohol impacts the health and development of the community as a whole and its individual members. The objective of this policy is to ensure compliance with applicable federal, state, and local laws, and school regulations regarding alcohol.

2.0 Policy

ll students at the Colorado School of Mines must adhere to applicable federal, state, and local laws and school regulations related to the possession, consumption, distribution, and sale of alcoholic beverages. This includes, but is not limited to, issues of legal drinking age, alcohol-free housing, manufacturing of alcoholic beverages, and planning events with alcohol.

All student events at which students and alcohol are present, must be properly approved by the Associate Dean of Students prior to the event. This includes both on and off-campus events as well as student events planned by faculty or staff members. Beer and wine are the only types of alcohol allowed at student events. Hard liquor is never permitted at student events.

Mines students are accountable for their actions and judgment and are expected to make responsible decisions regarding alcohol. Violations of this policy are subject to appropriate institutional and legal sanctions.

3.0 Procedures for Student Events with Alcohol

The procedures listed below must be followed by any organization or individual (student, faculty, or staff member) planning a student event where alcohol will be served and where Mines students (undergraduate or graduate) may be in attendance. Exceptions to procedural requirements outlined below may be granted by the Associate Dean of Students on a case-by-case basis. Please contact the Associate Dean of Students at least three weeks prior to the event date if requesting an exception.

3.1 Planning to Serve Alcohol at a Student Event

Any individual or organization planning to serve alcohol at a student event must abide by the following requirements.

3.1.1 Secure Approval to Serve Alcohol

Step 1: At least one week in advance of the event, a Request to Serve Alcohol Form must be completed and submitted to the Student Activities Office by the individual or organization planning the event. The form is available at the Student Activities Office or website.

Step 2: The Associate Dean of Students or designee will review the request within three business days, and will approve the request as written or return the request to the contact person with a list of required changes. The changes should then be made and the request re-submitted for review. If the request is not changed and submitted appropriately, alcohol will not be allowed to be present at the event.

Step 3: Once approved, a copy of the request will be provided to the individual or organization’s contact person indicated on the form by email. A copy of the approved request will also be sent to the Department of Public Safety.

Step 4: The contact person should review the approved request form and comply with all aspects of the event as approved.

3.1.2 Obtain a Third Party Vendor

A third-party vendor is required to serve the alcohol all events. All student events held on campus are required to use the school’s dining services provider as the third-party vendor. Third-party vendors for off-campus events will be approved on a case-by-case basis.

3.1.3 Obtain a Security Provider

A security provider is required to assist with the ID checks and overall safety for all events where alcohol is served. The Student Activities Office can provide contact information for approved local security providers. Other security providers will be approved on a case-by-case basis.

3.1.4 Purchase or Obtain Donation of Alcohol

Certain restrictions are in place when purchasing alcohol for a student event. The funds used for the purchase of alcohol must either be from private funds of the individual hosting the event or from unrestricted funds given to a specific organization or department. The purchase of alcohol must be made in accordance with applicable law and the school’s Alcohol Purchase Policy (Chapter 2, Policy 2-9). Students are encouraged to seek guidance from the Student Activities Office when purchasing alcohol for an event or function. Some individuals or organizations seek donations of alcoholic beverages for their events. All regulations and procedures outlined in this policy apply equally regardless of whether alcohol is obtained through donation or purchase.

3.1.5 Plan and Institute Control Measures

Appropriate measures must be in place to provide for the safety and protection of students and property, and must be approved by the Associate Dean of Students prior to the event. Individuals or organizations planning events with alcohol must do the following:

  • Use wristbands or hand stamps (available from the Student Activities Office) to designate those 21 and older.
  • Arrange appropriate transportation of the alcohol to the event.
  • Maintain a secure single location for the distribution of alcohol during the event.
  • Identify clearly the boundaries where alcohol is permitted.
  • Limit alcohol consumption to three (3) alcoholic drinks per person.
  • Limit single serving sizes to 12 ounces for beer and 6 ounces for wine.
  • Cease service of alcohol at least 30 minutes before the end of the event.
  • Provide food and alternative/non-alcoholic beverages throughout the duration of the event. Water is not acceptable as the sole alternative beverage.
  • Clean the facility or area in which the event took place, including trash and recycling efforts.
  • Dispose properly of any alcohol that is not consumed during the event.

3.2 Selling Alcohol at a Student Event

If a student event is structured so that alcohol will be sold, certain regulations apply. The Ben H. Parker Student Center and the Student Recreation Center are the only areas on campus where alcoholic beverages are licensed to be sold. Selling alcohol outside these venues requires additional permits. Any attempt to sell alcoholic beverages without authorization and proper licensing is a violation of Colorado liquor code. Violators are subject to appropriate institutional and legal sanctions.

If an event is planned for a location other than the Student Center or Recreation Center, a special event liquor license must be obtained well in advance of the event. Please meet with the Associate Dean of Students at least four months prior to your event in order to start the process of obtaining a temporary license/permit through the City of Golden and State of Colorado.

4.0 Location Information

Specific regulations related to alcohol exist for all locations, both on and off campus. The information below provides a brief summary for particular locations. More information on location regulations may be obtained from the Associate Dean of Students.

4.1 Ben Parker H. Student Center and Student Recreation Center

The school’s dining services provider has exclusive rights to provide all food and drink in these buildings through campus catering. Campus catering holds the liquor license and must provide all alcohol for any student events in these buildings. Campus catering will be responsible for purchasing and distributing alcohol at student events held in these buildings.

4.2 Other Campus Buildings and Facilities

Except for the buildings noted in 4.1, there is no liquor license for other campus buildings or facilities, including outdoor spaces. Alcohol may be served in these facilities and spaces but must follow all the provisions of Section 3.0.

4.3 Campus Housing & Greek Houses

4.3.1 Residence Halls

Mines residence halls (including Jones Road and Residence Halls at Mines Park) are alcohol-free. No alcohol may be possessed or consumed in any part of these buildings or any adjacent outdoor areas.

4.3.2 Mines Park Apartments

Residents of Mines Park apartments (not including the Residence Halls at Mines Park which are alcohol-free) and their guests may consume alcohol within their apartment if they are of legal age to do so. Alcohol may not be consumed in any adjacent outdoor area unless otherwise approved. 

4.3.3 Campus-Owned Greek Houses

Campus-owned Greek houses are alcohol-free. No alcohol may be possessed or consumed in any part of these buildings or any adjacent outdoor areas.

4.3.4 Privately-Owned Greek Houses

Residents of privately owned Greek houses and their guests may consume alcohol within their room and house if they are of legal age to do so and if permitted by their organizations. Alcohol may not be consumed in any adjacent outdoor area unless otherwise approved.

4.4 Off-Campus Facilities

Alcoholic beverages may be consumed by those of legal drinking age at student events held off-campus if the event has received prior approval by the Associate Dean of Students. All applicable provisions of section 3.0 above must be followed.

5.0 Responsibilities

It is the responsibility of the Office of the Associate Dean of Students to administer all aspects of this alcohol policy. This includes approval of events, policy education, policy enforcement, adjudication of violations, data collection, and reporting.

6.0 Definitions

6.1 Student Events

A student event is any student activity that is sponsored, promoted, sanctioned, financed, and/or officially controlled by any entities or organizations of the Colorado School of Mines. For the purposes of this policy, a student event is also any official function or training function that includes students, and where alcohol is present.

6.2 Third-Party Vendor

A third-party vendor is a properly licensed and insured catering company. The vendor must:

  • Be properly licensed by the appropriate local and state authority. This might involve both a liquor license and a temporary license to sell on the premises where the function is to be held.
  • Have general liability insurance in amounts required by the school, evidenced by a properly completed certificate of insurance prepared by the insurance provider.
  • Assume all the responsibilities that any other purveyor of alcoholic beverages would assume in the normal course of business, including but not limited to the following:
    • Checking identification cards upon entry
    • Not serving minors
    • Not serving individuals who appear to be intoxicated
    • Maintaining absolute control of ALL alcoholic containers present
    • Collecting all remaining alcohol at the end of the function 

For the official document, Issued 15 August 2010, click here.

For more information, please consult the Institutional Alcohol Policy

Powered by Orgsync